- Introduction – defining safeguarding, why training is important, who has responsibilities and the Designated Safeguarding Officer.
- Safeguarding Structure and Guidance – the Children Act 1989, the Education Act 2002, Every Child Matters, The Childcare Act 2006, Working Together to Safeguard Children, the single assessment process, low level needs, emerging needs, complex needs, child protection concerns.
- Your Responsibilities – the role of social care, your responsibilities and scenario exercises.
- Recognising and Responding to Abuse – recognising abuse, why children don’t disclose information, children’s responses to abuse, behavioural responses, disclosures from a child, recording information and why adults don’t take action.
- Responses Under the Safeguarding Structure – what response is needed, Early Help Assessments, children in need, significant harm, factors which influence the response, contacting social care and what happens next.
- Working Together and Sharing Information – resolving disagreements, what to do if you don’t agree with the decision, key principles, why professionals don’t share information and sharing information.
- Recording Information – what to record, record keeping tips, your continued involvement, serious case reviews, Peter Connolly and shared responsibility.
Who would benefit
This Designated Safeguarding Officer course is suitable for anyone who needs to understand the responsibilities of this role and who works frequently with children and who holds a management, supervisory or designated child protection role in settings such as schools, universities, charities, places of worship, sports clubs, leisure centres and GP and healthcare practices.
It is recommended that learners have prior knowledge of safeguarding procedures before beginning the training. The Advanced Safeguarding Children Training Course we offer would help with this.
Certification and assessment
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 25 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don’t pass don’t worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.